Nutrition & Workouts
HEALTHY EATING TIPS BY FITSMILE
What to avoid? What to reduce? What to improve?
- Try to replace white bread with crisp bread, brown whole grain bread or rice cakes.
- Avoid crackers, they contain a lot of unnecessary fat, look for rice cakes instead.
- Avoid all types of sweets – sweet bars: bounty, penguin, chocolate cake and biscuits…not useful calories and a lot of substances blocking fat loss.
- Read labels, processed food are not beneficial for a proper diet e.g., if making spaghetti bolognese you are better to do it from natural tomatoes or from canned tomatoes, rather than from ready processed sauces.
- Check the amount of saturated fat in the product (avoid high saturated levels)!
- Drink a lot of still water- ideally 2 litres. (avoid fizzy drinks, avoid alcohol). Note – there is plenty of water in your food, it all counts, but make sure you don’t dehydrate especially if you exercise.
- Instead of chips try to have boiled potatoes or brown rice or couscous.
- If possible grill or bake and not fry! Reduce salt and sugar to minimum!
- If feeling hungry in the evening you can eat something up to two hours before going asleep, anything light: eggs, yogurt, veggies, muesli.
- Get more vegetables in your diet: carrots, beetroot, peppers, cucumber, etc…
- Eat 4-6 times a day. Often but small portions.
- Reduce dressings/sauces e.g., mayo, ketchup, sauces, vinegar – need to be reduced to minimum.
- Look for organic food if possible.
Example Of Daily Food Plan
Breakfast And Supper Ideas:
- Porridge with low fat milk or yogurt or muesli
- Scramble eggs or omelette with ryvita bread or a slice of whole grain bread
- Cottage cheese with spring onion, plus rice cakes
- Boiled eggs/poached eggs and salad
- Low fat bacon or ham and brown rice
- Chicken salad (mixed salad, chicken, low fat yogurt or small spoon of olive oil, spices)
- Broccoli salad (hazelnuts, broccoli, tomatoes, low fat yogurt)
- Rice cakes with cottage cheese and jam, or peanut butter spread (almonds would be one of the best)
- Smoothie or juices from fresh fruits (banana, strawberry, orange, blueberries, etc… and yogurt or milk or polish buttermilk)
Lunch And Dinner Ideas:
- Boiled potatoes, vegetables with no dressing, meat – low fat, no chips or mayo
- Fish (salmon, cod) with brown rice or sweet potatoes
- Turkey filet with couscous and carrot salad
- Chicken and rice, salad without dressing
- Beef steak homemade with potatoes and salad
- Chickpeas, cutlet with broccoli salad
- Vegetable soup with chicken (easy to make – fresh or frozen vegetables, chicken, water, spices, boil for around 40 mins – ready to eat)
- Beetroot with goats cheese (not too much goats cheese as it’s high in fat)
Buckwheat with apple, cinnamon & raisins
(serving for 2)
1 bag – dry Buckwheat
2 x green apples
Pinch of cinnamon
Fist of raisins
Optional: small spoon of coconut flakes, handful of almonds
1-4 spoons of natural or soya yogurt
Cook the buckwheat for 15-20 min – check cooking guidelines on the package, drain.
Cut apples to squares. Add all other ingredients mix together and enjoy hot or cold.Great idea for breakfast, lunch or when you need something on the go:)
Fitsmile favourite lunch 😉
Vegetarian pasta dish with coconut milk
(serving for 2-4 people)
2 hand full spinach
1x box of mushrooms
1x yellow pepper
2-3 clove of garlic
1x spoon of olive oil
3x big spoons of coconut milk
1x hand full parsley
80-120g or hand full of raw gluten free pasta
Spices: Salt, pepper, red dry sweet pepper
1. Wash & cut aubergine and squash in thin slices and grease with olive oil. Add the spices pepper, salt, red pepper- place aubergine in the fridge for few minutes.
2. Fry squash first on grill pan until is well done then do the same with aubergine.
3. At the same time cut onion and garlic on slices and fry in the pot using olive oil.
4. Add chopped pepper and grated carrot. Wait until they soft.
5. Wash, peel off & slice mushrooms. Mix with pepper and salt in the pot and cover with lid wait until they are soft.
6. Wash spinach and add to pot.
7. After 4-5min add the aubergine and squash to the rest veggies and mix them together. Add spices if needed.
8. Add the coconut milk and mix everything together.
9. Cook pasta your favorite way.
10. Served hot with fresh parsley on the top. Enjoy:)
Bok Choy salad
(serving for 2-4 people)
2 heads bok choy
1 large apple
1 large carrot
1/2 red onion
1/2 glass soya milk
1/2 glass cashews
4 spoons vinegar
2 spoons raisins
1 spoon mustard
1. Wash and slice Bok Choy (leafs as well).
2 Add grated apple and grated carrot.
3. Add half onion cut in small pieces.
4. Mix – 1/2 glass soya milk, 1/2 glass, 1/2 glass cashews, 4 spoons vinegar, 2 spoons raisins and 1 spoon mustard.
5. Add your sauce to the rest and enjoy with rice or other.
Rocket salad with feta cheese, tomatoes and pepper
(serving for 2-4 people)
1/3 box of rocket salad
1/2 box of cherry tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1x red pepper
1/5 of feta cheese
1x small spoon of olive oil
Optionally: 1 carrot chopped
Spices: salt, pepper
Wash the rocked salad. Slice cheese for small squares, add tomatoes, wash the pepper and chop it small, add garlic – grated or chopped, mix everything together- do it gently to not damage cheese.
Add spices an olive oil and enjoy as a lunch, side dish or starter.
Shown – served with rice and chicken in breadcrumbs, tasty…:) Enjoy!!!